Sunday 5 January 2014

Guide us to thy perfect light

So here I am- Twelfth Night. Christmas season itself continues until Candlemas on the 2nd February, but my celebrations can't last that long.
I tried to keep an Advent of prayerful preparation, to joyfully welcome the Christ-child on Christmas morning, and to continue to celebrate God's glory until today's feast of the Epiphany.
This morning's Gospel reading was Matthew's account of the Magi visiting Herod, then placing their gifts before Jesus; gold for the king, frankincense for the priest and myrrh because he was destined to die.
One classic sermon preached on this reading is what gifts do we bring? If I had one wish for this year it would to be more loving, to offer this as my gift. If I've learned anything in ministry, work and life it's that love, in the broadest sense, is what really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment