Saturday 10 December 2016

Advent word - promise

What promises did I make at the start of this year? Probably something along the lines of getting fitter, more organised, sorting out the house, being more hospitable, being "better". In fact I probably make similar promises each day, as each day offers me a new opportunity to try and be "better" and try to fulfil the promises I've made- to my family, my work, to God.
I start each day with a similar prayer, it's a little different every day but it usually includes "I give you my life this day", each day promising myself to God anew, usually ending the day saying sorry that things didn't go quite at planned! But if (as I heard debated recently) God can't love us any less, then he can't love us any more- we're loved to full capacity. This is part of his promise, loving us exactly as we are even if in our own eyes we messed up.
Each day does bring new promise, new opportunity, but God loves us regardless.

God gives us the responsibility of doing something ourselves about those faithless fears and worldly anxieties that are holding us back. We don’t have to do this alone. We have God’s promise of holding our hand and of helping us.

-Br. David Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment