Sunday 11 December 2016

Advent word - befriend

Totally out of sync with working nights shifts!
Working full time, having kids and being a minister means my friendships suffer. I feel it particularly at this time of year when being a nurse and involved in church make me particularly unsociable. What matters then is to be a friend to the people I'm with- those missing families, those with no choice but to be in or at the hospital and those in my church who are alone or lonely. It's part of our humanity to acknowledge the basic need for friendship in each other.

On my journey of faith, Mary has become a kind of friend, and our shared experience of Jesus has become a sacred communion. He invites me into her presence with contagious joy. She points me to him with fresh insight and renewed simplicity.

-Br. Keith Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment