Wednesday 2 April 2014

Listen more carefully

I was at home this evening- quite a rare thing- so it was lovely just spending time with my family. My daughter was upset when I got home. She'd been in trouble at school, a very rare thing, and was completely mortified at her punishment. She was worried at how her dad would react and really sad about the things she'd missed out on. She just wanted her mum to sit and listen and hug her, which I of course did.
Once she'd had tea and cheered up she wanted to tell me everything she'd learnt in her puberty classes today...quite frankly I'm not ready for my baby girl to be talking about periods or know what an erection is but I have no choice in this one! I again listened, and told her I'm her to chat about whatever she needs to.
I would, of course, have listened to her troubles whether it was today's task or not, but I was particularly mindful today of really trying to see how she's feeling and let her know I understand.
My son was just merrily going about his own business whilst this was going on. I suggested he might go and ask his Nana how she was for his task, but he turned to me and said "but mummy, I want to know how YOU are!" I don't suppose he really listened to my answer, but it was lovely to be asked!!

No comments:

Post a Comment