Wednesday 18 February 2015

Say Sorry

I was listening to something the other day - can't remember what as my memory is soup these days - but it pointed out that often when someone makes a public apology it's along the lines of "I'm sorry if my actions offended you/upset you/hurt you." It's not very often we hear someone admit they made a mistake or did something wrong, they're upset at the consequences of their action but not the action itself.
Christians are called to continually examine and assess their actions to decide if they could have acted in a way that was hurtful or harmful, and if so to make amends, not repeat the behaviour, and to say sorry; to admit we did something wrong.
The amazing thing about God is that, no matter how many times we mess up and have to say we're sorry, he'll still forgive us. Every time; so long as we are truly sorry, even if it's something we messed up before and swore we wouldn't do again. We never run out of second chances, even if we can't forgive each other or ourselves.

I think the word "repent" carries a lot of baggage, but what it means is to turn around, do a 180 degree turn to turn our backs on what we've done that's harmful and turn towards what isn't.
When I asked my kids if there was anything they were sorry they'd done the replies I got were taking other people's chocolate - an ongoing saga in our house - and shouting at each other. In return for their honesty I told them I was sorry for when I was snappy with them or didn't listen properly. I really am sorry and I don't want to ever do it again- but being honest I know I probably will...and I'm pretty sure the chocolate thief will return!! Being a Christian doesn't stop me doing things wrong, but it does help me to reflect upon my actions and try and sort stuff out when I do mess up.

Matthew 3:2
‘Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.’

No comments:

Post a Comment