Thursday 12 March 2015

Be More Peaceful

When I was at university Dermot Morgan, the actor who played Father Ted, died very suddenly. I was bereft, being obsessed with the show, so as soon as I could arrange it I hopped on a train from Liverpool to Bolton to go out, dance and get drunk with my best friend Lindsay.
Tonight I feel like doing the same thing, although it's Lindsay's husband I want to raise a glass with, for he like myself is a huge fan of Terry Pratchett. Today we learned the beyond sad news that Sir Terry had died, eight years after being diagnosed with early onset Altzheimer's disease.
At the age of 12 I was an avid library user, both parents being bibliophiles. My excitement upon turning 13 was immense because I could now access the young adult fiction. In particular I had been eyeing up a book I wanted to borrow as soon as I was old enough, mainly due to its cover artwork by Josh Kirby. The book was Equal Rites. It introduced me to Discworld, a place I have never left. Eventually I convinced my husband to join me there, and now my kids are coming along too- my daughter went to last week's World Book Day as Tiffany Aching.
Whilst I don't intend to leave Discworld anytime soon, the news of Sir Terry's death, a man of such genius imagination, leaves me just so ridiculously sad.
It has however had me reminiscing about my days spent in the library and how formative those years between 11 and 15 were. As well as Discworld I discovered my enduring love for Sean Bean, Hugh Laurie and Doc Martens. I also discovered one of my other true and eternal loves- like Terry I found him down the library. As well as access to the Discworld books at 13 I could borrow music. As with my book choices I often borrowed music based on the cover, which is probably how I ended up borrowing ChangesBowie, a David Bowie singles compilation, and I fell in love forever. As I drove home from college tonight I listened to that album rather loudly and the familiarity and comfort filled me with immense peace. Those songs still make me feel like I'm 13 again and I never grow weary of them.
It's interesting that most of the things I still love completely are from that time- will the things I'm purposefully doing now to aid my formation as a priest have as much influence on me? When I look back in 20 years what will have influenced me most as a Minister?

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment