Wednesday 18 March 2015

Listen More Carefully

I am a terrible listener. I have zero concentration span, but at least I recognise my short comings! Anything that helps me to try and focus my listening can only be a good thing, as those closest to me can often feel like I have my mind elsewhere (which I usually do). I'm also an interrupter, not because I think what I have to say is more important than other people but because my short concentration span means if I don't say what's on my mind, as it comes into my mind, I'll forget it again within 30 seconds. I probably seem very rude sometimes.
Just spending a few minutes properly listening to someone benefits you both- they feel valued and you may learn something! Last Thursday I spent the day with the Wythenshawe Hospital chaplaincy team and one of the places they took me to was the dementia ward. Frank, one of the chaplains, told me to have a wander and chat to the patients- and what a wonderful and valuable experience it was.
If you really listen to someone with advanced dementia, whilst to begin with the conversation may not seem to make much sense, as you go on you pick up on cues, words and phrases that give you an insight into what they are trying to communicate to you. When talking to someone with dementia listening is the key to effective communication. It's something I really pray I can be better at.

No comments:

Post a Comment