Monday 19 February 2018

Celtic Lent Day 5

We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade, the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito. And the incognito is not always hard to penetrate. The real labour is to remember, to attend. In fact, to awake. Still more, to remain awake.
C.S. Lewis

There is no escaping from God. Lewis reminds us we can, and often do, ignore the presence of our creator, but the Psalmist below reminds us there really is no hiding place even if we would wish it. There is no place, no darkness, where God cannot reach us and sit with us in that darkness. I find this comforting. In Lent we're joining God in the wilderness but in our lives God joins us in ours.

Scripture
Where can I go from your spirit?
   Or where can I flee from your presence?
If I ascend to heaven, you are there;
   if I make my bed in Sheol, you are there.
If I take the wings of the morning
   and settle at the farthest limits of the sea,
even there your hand shall lead me,
   and your right hand shall hold me fast.
If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me,
   and the light around me become night’,
even the darkness is not dark to you;
   the night is as bright as the day,
   for darkness is as light to you.
Psalm 139.7-12

No comments:

Post a Comment