Tuesday 27 February 2018

Celtic Lent Day 11

Listening to the rain
What a thing it is to sit absolutely alone, in the forest, at night, cherished by this wonderful, unintelligible, perfectly innocent speech, the most comforting speech in the world, the talk the rain makes by itself all over the ridges, and the talk of the watercourses everywhere in the hollows. Nobody started it, nobody is going to stop it. It will talk as long as it wants, this rain. As long as it talks, I am going to listen.
Thomas Merton

There's something overwhelmingly spiritual about being immersed in nature, I never feel closer to God than when I'm outdoors. The connection to the patterns and rhythms of the seasons, feeling connected to something so much bigger and ancient than myself. My understanding is that this lies at the heart of Celtic spirituality; the never-ending relationship between humankind and creation.
Overnight (at work) I've watched everything be transformed by a blanket of snow; there's a silence snow creates which invites me to listen to its peace and find something in it.

Scripture
Deep calls to deep
   at the thunder of your cataracts;
all your waves and your billows
   have gone over me.
By day the Lord commands his steadfast love,
   and at night his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
Psalm 42.7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment