Tuesday 20 February 2018

Celtic Lent Day 6

The peace of wild things
When despair for the world grows in me
and I wake in the night at the least sound
in fear of what my life and my children's lives may be,
I go and lie down where the wood drake
rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
I come into the peace of wild things
who do not tax their lives with forethought
of grief. I come into the presence of still water. And I feel above me the day-blind stars
waiting with their light. For a time
I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.
Wendell Berry

Sometimes we need to just stop, step outside of our lives and take a moment to breathe. Lent gives us permission for this. If I think too far ahead I'm overwhelmed and anxiety creeps in. Some things need to be planned for and thought about but many things don't.
In training for the priesthood we were told to learn the difference between urgent and important; some things are important but not urgent, some things urgent but not important. Some things are both or neither. Spending this apart in nature helps me regain a sense of peace, and with that a sense of priority and of what really matters.

Scripture
Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your span of life?
Matthew 6.26-27

No comments:

Post a Comment