Thursday 12 December 2019

12th December 2019

Today is polling day, the general election. I've just seen the exit poll and let's just say things don't appear to be leaning the way I'd like. And yet...there's so much that has delighted me today from the unusual number of people I encountered at the polling station and #youthquake trending on Twitter to, of course, the fabulous photos of dogs outside polling booths. 
Whoever is in government tomorrow I'll continue to live my life by the princles that govern how I cast my vote; compassion for those I share this world with, a desire for the marginalised to be seen and included, a will to steward creation and a wish for peace. 
Advent is a very odd time for an election in the UK, but we're living in extraordinary times. My wish is that whoever we are and whatever our differences the joy of the approaching festive season will serve to bring us together.
Tomorrow night I'm sleeping over in our church to raise money for The Booth Centre, a charity supporting those who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless in Manchester. We're joining together as a community to support other members of our community, we're joining together because of a shared compassion and a will to want to do something, however small. 

No comments:

Post a Comment