Wednesday 18 December 2019

18th December 2019

I'm at that point in Advent when I'm getting a little twitched about what needs to be done before "the big day", although it's all relative because I'm still much more chilled than I have been in the past.
There's a fair amount of space over the next few days, and there's even some fun stuff pencilled in. I need to choose how I spend my time wisely, making sure everything is balanced, and making sure I'm on it with the sermons I need to write for Sunday 8am and for Midnight Mass.

Through an odd turn of events I have a patient who started discussing Richard Rohr this morning- anyone who knows my homilies will know I often mention him and it reminded me that I've followed his Advent book in the past. Incidentally my daughter and myself were chatting (like you do) about what it means for Jesus to be fully human and fully divine; the introduction to Rohr's Advent book says this:

We Franciscans have always believed that the Incarnation was already the Redemption, because in Jesus’s birth God was already saying that it was good to be human, and God was on our side.

It's a timely reminder that whatever state of readiness I'm on by this point in Advent, whatever will and won't be done that I deem important, God chose to be born into this messiness, into this imperfection, into this often chaotic life. We weren't ready for him then either!

No comments:

Post a Comment