Thursday 5 December 2019

5th December 2019

Well that flooring is finally laid, 11 years on, and I'm getting there with my jam and chutney making. Advent is well under way. 

The new flooring is really making us look at the space in a new way- the old carpet was down for probably 30 or more years, from when my parents owned the house, and the space in our hallway is something I've been looking at for over 35 years, but changing a room- and this is also the case with rearranging the dining room- makes you see it differently, no matter how many years you've known that space. 

When we're so familiar with something it's hard to imagine it any other way or look at it from a new angle. Our rituals and traditions at this time of year can be a bit like that- I know in the past I've always bought particular foods for Christmas, and yet they may hardly get touched. I've tried to stop that more recently, to look at the things I do during Advent and Christmas out of tradition or habit and reassess if they're important or not, knowing what's ok to let go of. We've done this with our church services at St Michael's too, giving ourselves the freedom to experiment and try new things, and giving ourselves permission to fail. It can take a lot to change something familiar and comforting, especially change that may not go as hoped, but that's how we grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment