Thursday 19 December 2019

19th December 2019

This morning was our annual work Christmas brunch (best meal for meet ups in my opinion!) It was an utter delight to see some of my colleagues who're on maternity leave and one who has had health issues (as well as those I've seen more recently). I also got to meet three lovely babies. There may have been snuggling. 

The meet up found it's way into my sermon writing this afternoon as I contemplated this Sunday's gospel and it's focus on Mary as well as the Nativity narrative for Midnight Mass. 

The following poem was posted on Facebook this week by Kaitlin Hardy Shelter and has very much been on my mind this afternoon:

sometimes I wonder 
if Mary breastfed Jesus.
if she cried out when he bit her
or if she sobbed when he would not latch.

and sometimes I wonder 
if this is all too vulgar
to ask in a church 
full of men 
without milk stains on their shirts
or coconut oil on their breasts
preaching from pulpits off limits to the Mother of God.

but then i think of feeding Jesus, 
birthing Jesus, 
the expulsion of blood 
and smell of sweat,
the salt of a mother’s tears 
onto the soft head of the Salt of the Earth,
feeling lonely 
and tired
hungry
annoyed
overwhelmed
loving 

and i think,
if the vulgarity of birth is not 
honestly preached 
by men who carry power but not burden,
who carry privilege but not labor,
who carry authority but not submission,
then it should not be preached at all. 

because the real scandal of the Birth of God
lies in the cracked nipples of a 
14 year old 
and not in the sermons of ministers 
who say women
are too delicate 
to lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment