Friday 20 December 2019

20th December 2019

Those who want to be able to listen well to God’s speaking must enclose themselves in great silence. 
Umiltà of Faenza

My 20 minute candles are forcing me to pause and spend time in silence each day of Advent. As Christmas Day gets nearer it's tempting to push harder and forgo my little ritual, to fill every inch of the day with something, but I haven't yet. 

Since my stay with the Northumbria Community last May silence, contemplation and meditation have become an almost daily part of my life. When I've fallen away from it I've felt it, and when I've made it a more regular practice I've felt it change me, most definitely for the better. I feel more often a congruence between my inner self and what I project outwardly. A contentment. Not all the time...but more than I used to.

Many years ago, whilst discussing the detrimental effects of being nursed in isolation (as is the case on my unit) I was recommended the film Into Great Silence for a glimpse into the transformative power of silence, prayer and to some degree isolation. I would urge people to seek out this stunning work of cinema.


Zeitgeist Films writes;
Nestled deep in the postcard-perfect French Alps, the Grande Chartreuse is considered one of the world’s most ascetic monasteries. In 1984, German filmmaker Philip Gröning wrote to the Carthusian order for permission to make a documentary about them. They said they would get back to him. Sixteen years later, they were ready. Gröning, sans crew or artificial lighting, lived in the monks’ quarters for six months—filming their daily prayers, tasks, rituals and rare outdoor excursions. This transcendent, closely observed film seeks to embody a monastery, rather than simply depict one—it has no score, no voiceover and no archival footage. What remains is stunningly elemental: time, space and light. One of the most mesmerizing and poetic chronicles of spirituality ever created, INTO GREAT SILENCE dissolves the border between screen and audience with a total immersion into the hush of monastic life. More meditation than documentary, it’s a rare, transformative theatrical experience for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment