Sunday 24 December 2017

The 24th

Christmas renews our youth by stirring our wonder. The capacity for wonder has been called our most pregnant human faculty, for in it are born our art, our science, our religion.

Ralph Sockman

It's 01:10 am and I've just returned from midnight mass. The house is silent, apart from a dripping I can hear from the bathroom. I can hear the wind picking up outside. All is calm. I'm sipping mulled wine and feel completely content. In 6 hours and 20 minutes the kids alarms will go off and another day of crazy will begin; we'll share presents, go to church and then I'll go to work.
Before that, before another day - Christmas Day - before celebrating with those I love, worshipping with my church family and working alongside my amazing colleagues...before that there is this moment of contentment. This moment of knowing I am loved, that the divine is entwined with our seemingly ordinary lives. In this contentment I am resting in God's love. All is calm. All is bright.

Today I felt joy is seeing a full church singing of God's love and love; I was thankful for my faith and I felt helpless that Christmas will be over way too soon.

Scripture
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What has come into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.
John 1:1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment