Wednesday 17 December 2014

Darkness is not dark to you

"Even the darkness is not dark to you
   the night is as bright as the day
   for darkness is as light to you"
(Psalm 139:12)

When I was very young I was, like many children, scared of the dark. My parents had to go to bed with the landing light on for years. When I became a teenager I liked the dark- I could hide in the dark, it was comforting.
I still find the dark comforting and not scary. Sometimes the darkness makes it easier to focus on God- I close my eyes to pray or listen to someone reading scripture. But in the bible light and dark imagery are used to symbolise good and evil or God and evil. That's why I've chosen the above verse- in the light or in the dark God is always with us.
Despite being "the true light which enlightens everyone" He can be hidden or eclipsed by the bright lights and sparkle of Christmas, or found in the darkest corner. Whether acknowledged or not, He is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment