Saturday 3 March 2018

Celtic Lent Day 16

There is not in the world a way of life more sweet, nor more delightful than continual converse with God...If I were a preacher, I should preach nothing else but the practice of the presence of God
Brother Lawrence

Anyone younger than me might have no clue who Thora Hird is, so for the uninitiated she was a northern comic actress very much present on UK TV screens during my childhood. She was also one of our most recognisable Christians, presenting Songs of Praise spin off Praise Be.
I remember watching an interview with Thora towards the end of her life, whilst she still lived independently. Her daily routine was a constant conversation with God, whether in formal prayer or searching for the sugar. I can't remember if I was attending church at this point, but I remember thinking that continual conversation was the sort of relationship I wanted with God.

Scripture
For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: 
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to throw away;
Ecclesiastes 3.1,6

No comments:

Post a Comment