Friday 9 March 2018

Celtic Lent Day 21

Never Mock
Never mock what others say.
Perhaps their words are full of nonsense.
Perhaps they are trying to puff themselves up.
Perhaps they like hearing the sound of their voices.
Perhaps they are trying to deceive their hearers.
Perhaps they are foolish and dim.
Perhaps they are more clever than wise.
Yet amidst the useless clay
You may find jewels beyond price.
The word of God is in every heart,
And can speak through every voice.
Robert Van De Weyer

I think the easiest words to mock are our own, to think we're the foolish one whose words are full of nonsense. I constantly doubt myself, replaying conversations I've had, things I wish I had or hadn't said. Today is no exception.
Today's scripture reading offers us the example of Peter, Peter the bumbler who always gets things wrong, and yet he's the one who sees who Jesus really is. We have to trust, as I do, that God is using us despite the stuff we get wrong.

Scripture
He said to them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’ Simon Peter answered, ‘You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.’ And Jesus answered him, ‘Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven.
Matthew 16.15-17

No comments:

Post a Comment