Tuesday 27 March 2018

Celtic Lent Day 36

Help me to find happiness
in my acceptance of what is Your purpose for me:
in friendly eyes: in work well done!
in quietness born of trust,
and, most of all, in the awareness
of Your presence in my spirit.
Labour and rest,
work and ease,
the busy hand
and then the stilled thought.
This blending of opposites
is the secret
of the joy of living.

The thing that's caused so much joy, anguish and confusion in my life is the belief that God has two purposes for my me; to be a nurse and to be a priest. I'm always both and each informs the other, yet trying to get them to sit alongside each other is a constant fight- and that's before we even get to my roles as a mum, wife, friend and daughter. The ability to interweave these things in a way which feels like I'm serving each always feels a little out of reach.
Being able to book the whole of Holy Week off from the hospital each year feels like a treat, a special time, a time to just be a priest, but my other roles will always influence who I am a priest, I hope for the better.

Scripture
Yours, O Lord, are the greatness, the power, the glory, the victory, and the majesty; for all that is in the heavens and on the earth is yours; yours is the kingdom, O Lord, and you are exalted as head above all. Riches and honour come from you, and you rule over all. In your hand are power and might; and it is in your hand to make great and to give strength to all. And now, our God, we give thanks to you and praise your glorious name.
 ‘But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to make this freewill-offering? For all things come from you, and of your own have we given you.
1 Chronicles 29.11-14

No comments:

Post a Comment