Thursday 15 March 2018

Celtic Lent Day 26

How, then, shall we live the life of prayer without ceasing? By quiet, persistent practice in turning all our being, day and night, in prayer and inward worship and surrender, toward him who calls in the deeps of our souls. An inner, secret turning to God can be made fairly steady, after weeks and months and years of habitual practice and lapses and failures and returns. Begin now, as you ponder these words, as you sit in your chair, to offer your whole self to him, utterly and in joyful abandon, in quiet, glad surrender...this is not a discipline of absentmindedness. Walk and talk and work and laugh with your friends! But behind the scenes, keep up the life of simple prayer and inward worship. Keep it up throughout the day. And in time you will find, as did Brother Lawrence, that 'those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep'.
Thomas Kelly

Habitual practice and lapses and failures and returns is the perfect description of my prayer life and spiritual practice. Working shifts makes it hard to form a routine but after years of struggling and experimenting I sort of have something that works with the daily prayers of the Northumbria Community. It's a reminder that with our spiritual lives there is no one way of doing things, and why we often refer to what we do as practicing prayer; it takes time and perseverance and repetition.


Scripture
 ‘I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you.Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.
John 14.25-27

No comments:

Post a Comment