Saturday 24 March 2018

Celtic Lent Day 34

"O God!" I cried and that was all. But what are the prayers of the whole universe more than expansion of that one cry? It is not what God can give us, but God that we want.
George MacDonald

Dear Holy Christ,
who can see into every heart and read every mind,
take hold of my thoughts.
Bring my thoughts back to me,
and clasp me to Yourself.
An 8th century monk

Sometimes my relationship with God isn't about gentle words and making connections, sometimes it's about crying out, lamenting, raging or even accusing. Luckily God can take it.
I'm a big fan of the psalms, they're a reminder that no matter what anger or frustrations we aim at God, it's nothing God hasn't already heard.


Scripture
O Lord, God of my salvation,
   when, at night, I cry out in your presence,
let my prayer come before you;
   incline your ear to my cry. 
For my soul is full of troubles,
   and my life draws near to Sheol.
Psalm 88.1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment