Tuesday 6 March 2018

Celtic Lent Day 18

God is the friend of silence. We need to find God, but we cannot find Him in noise or in excitement. See how nature, the trees, the flowers, the grass grow in deep silence. See how the stars, the moon, and the sun all move in silence.
The best way to show gratitude to God is to accept everything with joy. A joyful heart is the inevitable result of a heart burning with love.
Teresa of Calcutta

The Moor
It was like a church to me.
I entered it on soft foot,
breath held like a cap in the hand.
It was quiet.
What God there was made himself felt,
not listened to, in clean colours
that brought a moistening of the eye,
in a movement of the wind over grass.
There were no prayers said. But stillness
of the heart’s passions — that was praise enough; and the mind’s cession
of its kingdom. I walked on,
simple and poor, while the air crumbled
and broke on me generously as bread.
R. S. Thomas

Sometimes we're trying so hard to find God that we forget to just stop, to pause, to remember that God is all things, waiting for us to realise it.
I'm really bad at stopping, of letting the silence wash over me, but I never regret it when I do.

Scripture
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
   like a weaned child with its mother;
   my soul is like the weaned child that is with me.
Psalm 131.2

No comments:

Post a Comment