Sunday 16 December 2018

16th December 2018


Cardinal Newman said that ‘the Christian is the one who watches for Christ’. The whole liturgical year forms us to be a people with the courage to wait until the Lord comes. Advent trains us in the patience not to begin celebrating too early, resisting the temptation to celebrate Christ’s birth before he comes although the shops are filled with signs saying ‘Merry Christmas’, fighting the impulse to open the presents before Christmas Day.
Timothy Radcliffe

Is that a killjoy attitude? Are we Christians trying to ruin another fun thing? Today felt like a turning point in Advent; last night was my work Christmas do and whilst I was working the night shift we decided we would bring a party to the ward. Then today we had our Christingle services at St Michael's, hearing the Christmas story from the gospels and singing traditional carols. Afterwards my friends joined us for food and we watched Raymond Briggs The Snowman and Father Christmas. It felt Christmassy, like Christmas has arrived. But liturgically it hasn't. We still have to watch and wait.

I find the discipline of the Advent and Lent  seasons incredibly important for my spiritual health, I think we need these times to get back in tune with ourselves and God. And yet the excitement is building, Christmas is palpable we're so close now. It's not just about that one day, for me this slow spiritual preparation gets us ready to fully celebrate the wonder and mystery of the divine presence, present at the dawn and time and within all things, choosing to live our human life, to be here with us, a gift of love and hope and life.

Today I was joyful attending and leading the Christingle services, thankful for my wonderful friends Lins and Si and helpless in my lack of sleep.

Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near.
Philippians 4.5


No comments:

Post a Comment