Monday 17 March 2014

Be More Thankful

The task today was to thank God for our meals. The kids were really thankful for their cocopops this morning! I was a bit more of a failure than them as I kept forgetting until after I'd eaten.
When we sit down at the table all together we say a grace, but with the busyness of our lives this is a rare occurance. I'm at work four evenings a week and college on one so that leaves just two evenings to be together at home- one of which is swimming lesson night, after which our meal is usually very informal. This leaves just one potential evening for us all to sit at the table together.
After remembering to thank God for my food today I also prayed for the people who had been involved in producing, transporting and selling it. As I sipped my Earl Grey my thoughts remained on the tea pickers. Many earn as little as 12p an hour and there are strong links with the slave trade as girls are lured away from their low paid jobs by the empty promise of something better, or families who cannot afford to keep their children sell them.
I pray to God for a living wage for the tea pickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment