Thursday 20 March 2014

Make your local area cleaner

The execution of today's task was my favourite LLLL moment so far because it involved a real sense of community.
It was litter pick day, which felt like the perfect way to get together with some of the other St Michaels team members. We sent the word round to meet outside church after the school pick up at 3.30 and clean up the lay by outside church.
You may have noticed that today's weather was at times a bit biblical and I have to say that as I drove to school I was not relishing the prospect of foraging in nettles in the cold and wet. My kids didn't look overly impressed when I picked them up and reminded them of our task but as we all met outside church- five adults and 13 children- within half an our we'd filled a wheelie bin from litter found on this short stretch of road! We were also really rather soggy.
I think the kids really rather enjoyed it in the end and with very little effort really we've made a difference to our environment- a chap parking up in the lay by even joined us for a moment! I feel really strongly about us being stewards of the earth- we should take that responsibility seriously and take care of this beautiful gift of creation.

Genesis 2.15: The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to till it and keep it.

Tomorrow is the biggie- screen free day! That means no social media and no blog until Saturday morning. As I'm going on retreat it probably won't be so bad- I just really hope I have a signal to blog on Saturday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment