Friday 7 March 2014

Care For Those in Need

Today's action was to watch the news and pray for someone or a situation that you see on it. I put BBC Breakfast on for the children this morning to see if anything struck them. The first story on was a guy who makes Minecraft videos- which the kids obsessed with- so they certainly paid attention to that, but when I asked if there was someone or something they wanted to pray for they looked blank.
Very aptly today is also Woman's World Day of Prayer. Each year focuses on a different country and this year it's Egypt. After watching the news fell flat I decided talk to Faith about Egypt, about the events of the last few years and also to discuss how women don't have equality is some other countries. We also touched on how in some countries it's very difficult to be a Christian.
I hope some of this made her think- she is a really thoughtful girl and feels things very deeply. I couldn't keep my son still for long enough for him to join in, but I'm sure he really enjoyed the Minecraft story!
I'm on a residential weekend now for my ordination training, so tomorrow's action will be a challenge to say the least! For evening prayer we used BCP with it's traditional language. The psalm was 37, which contains my most loved verses:
23. The Lord ordereth a good man’s going and maketh his way acceptable to him.
24. Though he fall, he shall not be cast away for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand.
I think those verses are inspiring and uplifting at any time, but especially important to remember as we think about people in difficult circumstances.
Micah 6.8: He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? 

No comments:

Post a Comment