Friday 21 March 2014

Do something different

I have survived what is possibly one of the most challenging days on LLLL- the screen free day.
The morning was pretty difficult- home alone preparing to go on retreat. Not watching TV is pretty easy for me because unless there's formula one practice on, or a major developing news story, it doesn't go on during the day. Keeping away from my laptop was a bigger challenge as I was tempted to watch a bit more of a series I'd been watching whilst eating my breakfast and lunch. Consequently I ate in in different room- far away from temption- and finished my audio book.
It's amazing how often I just casually Google something- the inability to do this was really frustrating. I've forgotten half the things I wanted to check out, or status updates I wanted to post to Facebook or Twitter.
The late afternoon was easier as I went to pick up a fellow ordinand and spent nearly two hours, on what should have been a 40 minute journey, travelling to Mirfield monastery for my retreat. Once here the need for technology melted away- probably a good thing as on the journey James the sat nav lead us a merry dance and then conked out completely.
Saying that when I awoke with the cock's crow at 5.10 this morning as couldn't wait to grab my phone!
Having only spoken to them briefly last night I'm curious how the kid's coped with the challenge! I spent my free time yesterday colouring in a meditation on stillness. Stillness and silence are greatly encouraged on retreat as a way of letting God in without the clutter of our modern lives getting in the way.
The monastery itself is beautiful- I can't wait to explore it more and I'll hopefully get some photos. I'm a suckered for monks and brother Dennis, our host yesterday evening, is an utter delight. During the worship I've experienced so far I've just let the beauty of the plain song wash over me- it is odd to observe rather then participate in worship, but I would simply sound like a honking goose next to the community here, and you feel so close to holiness in the monastery it's simply enough to let it wash over you.

No comments:

Post a Comment