Friday 1 March 2013

Disconnected

I've been dreading today- an even bigger challenge than a booze-free lent awaited us...a SCREEN FREE DAY! (the horror!!)
That meant no TV, no games on my phone, no iPlayer or Netflix and no social networking- computers were only for working. I'm getting palpitations just at the thought.
The morning wasn't so bad- no checking of Facebook or Twitter, although I did allow myself to read the Guardian content downloaded to my phone and check emails (church stuff...I swear). We were out all morning on errands so I was pleasantly distracted (ok I did go on the play store and download a couple of prayer related apps...and a few games to try when I'm allowed...and I did go on ebay to see how much Faith sized Converse were...) and when I got home I completed church rotas, sent church emails, finished writing Family Praise and did two thirds of a reflection upon Misson & Evangelism I'd been putting off for three months (and went on the Asda website to order new PE tops for JJ- they didn't have his size in store this morning).
Of course the screen free day stretched to Faith (a recent discoverer of YouTube) and Jacob (Flixton under sevens DS-aholics anonymous). I drove home from their post-school swimming lesson wondering what on earth we'd all do until bedtime- shocking I know. I freely admit I'm totally addicted to my laptop and phone. Not so much the TV- that's the domain of the other Jenkies.
So we did homework (more time to play at the weekend!), listened to the Willo-The-Wisp audio book and read The Hobbit.
Now the kids have gone to bed I'm writing this, then an early night I think (because I'm on a long day tomorrow- honestly!)
So what have I missed today? The second half of the film I began watching on iPlayer at ten last night, knowing the minutiae of my friend's lives on Facebook (missed you guys!). The minutiae of the lives of folks I don't  know on Twitter (missed you too!)...erm...a particularly challenging word search..?
Another result of my screen free day is a ridiculously long blog post...to quote Morrissey misquoting HG Bohn misquoting the bible "the devil will make work for idle hands to do".

Romans 7:19
For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment