Friday 29 March 2013

Surveying The Wondrous Cross

Today was Good Friday, so the task was to think about Good Friday. I had plenty of opportunity to do this, first at St Michael's Easter Experience (where I was manning a station speaking to folks from toddlers to more mature adults about what the cross means to them, how we share our sorrows and how we can pray for those who are suffering) and secondly in the Christie Hospital chapel at the liturgy for Good Friday service.
It was suggested we make an Easter garden and I had it all planned in my head. That was until work phoned in desperate need of cover for the night shift, so in lieu of a lovingly crafted 3D Easter garden I scribbled a picture of one on my phone.

No scripture today:
When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment