Thursday 28 March 2013

Love One Another

Loving one another seems appropriate for Maundy Thursday as this is exactly want Jesus commanded the disciples to do at The Last Supper.
We went to two very different services today. The first was in the intimate Christie chapel. We have annointing instead of washing feet (it's an infection control thing) and whilst very moving it doesn't have the despair of the full Maundy Thursday liturgy, ending with the church being stripped of all ornament whilst the choir sings Psalm 22:
My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from helping me, from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer; and by night, but find no rest.
Utter despair, remembering the hopelessness and helplessness of the disciples after Jesus was arrested.
But before this Jesus had told them:
"I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13:34-35).
In our LLLL booklet it suggested we do this by giving away some of the seedlings growing from the seeds we planted in week one. Our tomatoes are growing strong and ready to be replanted in their own pots- perfect to share with others. They're still small, but they'll grow bigger, stronger and produce fruit, as I hope I will after my journey (ugh- I said the J word) through Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment