Monday 30 December 2013

Bring God's glory to the heart of man

Something that really hits me at this point between Christmas and new year, when many people are back in work for a few days, is the belief that Christmas is done with- all over for another year.
The joy of celebration should encourage us to keep on celebrating as long as we can! In the church there are so many times to be solemn, and so much 'ordinary time' that I love having this joyous time- yes 12 days from Christmas day to Epiphany- but also 40 days from Christmas to Candlemas, which is basically the first week in February. Lent will be here soon enough, abstinence will be on our minds, so eat, drink, feast, celebrate, make merry!! Enjoy Christmas to it's fullest!
I think the problem is- stop me if you've heard this one before- we celebrate too soon. Advent isn't Christmas. My Christmas celebrations kick off on Christmas eve, so I'm not sick of it by the 30th- I've only just started.
Many people find January a miserable slump following the festive period- no chance of that in our house- with 2 major birthdays before we hit twelfth night, then my daughter's birthday on the 11th Jan and mine on the 19th we have multiple opportunities to keep celebrating throughout the extended festive season. Even without these added celebrations, Jesus alone is worth the continued festivities.

No comments:

Post a Comment