Monday 2 December 2013

I desire mercy

Advent Day Two

One of the readings at Morning Prayer today was from Matthew 12, where Jesus echoes Hosea when saying:

But if you had known what this means, “I desire mercy and not sacrifice”, you would not have condemned the guiltless.

It made me think about how I could maybe try and be more "merciful" through Advent. We're a very strange sort of people. If someone is off with us, or not as friendly as we'd expect, instead of thinking "are they ok?" We seem to jump to asking "what's their problem?!"
As joyful and joyous as Christmas can be it's also a season that can bring worry, loneliness, debt, stress and bad memories. One thing I will try to do this Advent is not jump to conclusions or take it personally if I encounter people who are grumpy or a bit off with me- none of us knows the problems and struggles of the people we casually meet each day. They may just be a grumpy toad, or they may be in need of a bit of compassion.

2 comments:

  1. Its hard to offer compassion when people do not act in an acceptable manner, however I agree to have a strength and faith that has the ability to recognise another's needs or weakness can only be a true sign of faith, belief and trying to present a more pleasant picture to the world.

    ReplyDelete