Tuesday 3 December 2013

Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

"...for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." Matthew 12:37

The above, again, comes from this morning's new testament reading. Strong words from Jesus, reminding us that what we say is incredibly important. 

I was reminded yesterday (thanks Katie) that I swear a lot. It's a terrible habit but I'm a great believer that, sometimes, only a cuss word will do. I often swear for comic effect, or in frustration, but try to avoid it in anger, and I never swear at my hubby! The thing is, the most offensive and hurtful things we say are rarely swear words. It's the off hand comments, the things we haven't thought about before saying and often the things we never meant to say. Words are powerful, as are the ways we say things. 

If our words reflect what is in our hearts, maybe if we try and choose our words carefully what we say will in turn change what is in our hearts? This Advent I will try to think before I speak, in the hope that my words will justify (and not condemn) me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment