Friday 6 December 2013

The righteous will shine like the sun

Very brief tonight as I'm falling asleep! I read a lot about Nelson Mandela today following the news of his death. He was a very great man but the articles I've read were very balanced and didn't gloss over the things he was criticised for or that are difficult to accept due to the mythology which has grown up around him.

The same can be said of Jesus- we think of him as the prince of peace, but some of what is written in the gospels is not so cuddly and nice, particularly Matthew where we find ourselves this Advent. Today's morning prayer reading concerned the weeds being thrown into the furnace- really glad not to be preaching on that one! To fully prepare for Jesus' birth I have to accept that he did not remain a helpless baby. He grew up to fulfil a ministry, which ultimately ended in his death. He upset people- a lot- otherwise they wouldn't have wanted him dead.
Yet, even with this knowledge, when I gaze into the stable I still see love, innocence and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment