Thursday 19 December 2013

I have no gift to bring

"I have no gift to bring...that's fit to give our king"

I think it's maybe about this time in Advent that I can feel at my most inadequate. Friends put photos on Facebook of their lovely clean, tidy and Christmasified houses, wherever you go you're asked if you're "all ready" and lovely cards come through the door each day.
I don't feel that way as much this year, I'm just accepting that there's things I can't achieve. Of course I wish I were able to do certain things, but I would need to be super human!
When I don't achieve the things I feel I should, when I feel let down by my own shortcomings, I do wonder why on earth God wants me, what do I have to offer? Maybe part of it is simply the willingness to do what he asks of me, and that includes sacrificing what some might think of as a "normal" Christmas, although as a nurse that's not new!
This year as well as working on Christmas day I'll be spending more time than ever in church, and my family may feel they're last on the list again. I hope I can find the right balance, and if not I hope I'm forgiven!

No comments:

Post a Comment